Livable Colors Bring Tranquility to the Home
When forecasting the 2020 Colors of the Year, the color experts at Valspar looked not only to the landscape of lifestyle trends, but also to the outdoors. Do-it-yourselfers are craving colors found in nature that are subdued and livable — improvements on paint colors they already have in their homes. For the first time, the 12 Valspar Colors of the Year were photographed in people's homes, giving the colors and images an aesthetic that represents the lifestyles of today's paint buyer. These livable neutrals make it easier to do home improvement projects right in all rooms – and all types – of homes.
"Earth's prescription for the chaotic, busy lives we all live is to bring the tranquility of nature and the outdoor world into the home. That's exactly what we set out to accomplish when forecasting the 2020 Colors of the Year," says Sue Kim, Valspar Color Marketing Manager at Sherwin-Williams. "Take Mint Whisper, for instance. The crisp shade brings a sense of peace — and nature's positivity — indoors."
Valspar offers not one – but 12 – Colors of the Year so that everyone has the opportunity to expand their creativity and find their own perfect color. Each of our 12 trending hues cultivate a safe, serene space, bringing joy and comfort to the home.
The 2020 Colors of the Year
All 12 colors are available at Lowe's and independent retailers nationwide. Please note, color names and shades vary slightly at each retailer. See below for the full list of colors and how they breathe life into spaces.
- Winter Calm – Soothing and warm, bringing a comforting sophistication to a space.
Design tip: Pair this calming greige with earthy elements and natural textiles for a wholesome hangout.
- Mint Whisper – This crisp hue brings a sense of peace — and nature's positivity — indoors.
Design tip: The combination of mint and white keep small spaces feeling light and airy.
- Canyon Earth – An elegant hue reminiscent of the desert, nature's prescription for less stress.
Design tip: A warm, peachy-hued door creates an infinitely more welcoming entrance.
- Grey Brook – This pale blue welcomes you into a space like a cozy warm blanket.
Design tip: This charming bluish gray works in perfect harmony with classic wood tones, creating a timeless space.
- Tempered Sage – Embrace a calming balance with this fresh take on a lime green.
Design tip: This spirited, sunny green pairs with natural wood tones, creating an earthy wholesome space.
- Desert Fortress – A comforting tone that leaves a blank canvas to fill with our own interpretation.
Design tip: Comfy furnishings layered with plush blankets and pillows create a relaxing space.
- Secluded Garden – A vibrant jewel tone creates a nostalgic sanctuary in a fresh, new way.
Design tip: This elegant green gets a touch of glamour with touches of delicate brass.
- Bombay Pink – A mature pink that is confidently cheerful like a spring sunset.
Design tip: Gold accents elevate Bombay Pink to posh new heights.
- Pale Powder – Fresh take on a warm neutral inspired by handmade authenticity.
Design tip: Woven baskets and wooden décor keep this nostalgic dusty apricot true to its retro roots.
- Utterly Blue – Find movement in a room with this blue that's calming like a sea breeze.
Design tip: Crisp whites and pristine chrome pair with this tranquil blue to create a spa-like retreat.
- Crushed Out – This hushed blush with a slight tint of pink brings a fresh new take on off-white.
Design tip: The contrast of greens, blues and reds make this soft pink recede into a beautiful neutral backdrop.
- Secret Moss – Naturally therapeutic, this dusky moss green creates a calming escape in any room.
Design tip: Soft neutrals and minimalist décor allow this charming green to make a statement.
Free color tools available from Valspar
When you want to update your home with a small change that has a big impact, Valspar offers a number of Color Discovery Tools to help you feel confident in your decisions. These tools, such as the Project Quiz, allow you to find your perfect color faster. DIYers can also save a trip to the store by having paint chips sent straight to their home for free.
About Sherwin-Williams Consumer Brands Group
Sherwin-Williams Consumer Brands Group offers innovative products to meet customers' paint and coating needs. The company manufactures products under well-known brands such as Valspar®, HGTV HOME® by Sherwin-Williams, Purdy®, Krylon®, Minwax®, Thompson's® Water Seal®, Cabot® and many more. Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is a global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial and retail customers. For more information, visit Sherwin.com.